Monday, December 3, 2007

Madrid day 1























Having limited my travel to business recently, I decided that at least one pleasure trip was in order during my time in Europe. So I booked a Kurzurlaub (short vacation) to Madrid. I had never visited Spain before and knew some sun would be in order by this point.

I arrived on Thursday, Nov 29. It was so much warmer than Berlin that I was immediately happy. I walked around my neighborhood and got my bearings on the city, which was packed with people and completely decked out in holiday lights:



















I later had a tasty but complicated dinner of assorted fresh shellfish, which involved eating barnacles for the first time. They came attached to little rocks!!

After that I met a very friendly young man from Colombia named Carlo, who took me around and showed me some of the many crazy drag queens:


















Went to bed around 5--not bad for a Thursday!!

No comments: