Friday, October 26, 2007

True dedication

means that you don't let international travel slow you down. So, after returning last Saturday night from Oslo, I stowed my stuff and promptly headed out. I had heard about a cool venue, only open for a couple of weeks, in Neukölln, a slightly outlying eastern neighborhood that until recently was considered very unhip. Now everything is pushing ever outwards and eastward. Soon the Berlin hipsters will be going out in Poland...

As it turns out, it was part of a play, yes, a *play* about club culture. I did not see the play myself, as I didn't get back to my apartment until 11.30, but anyway, it apparently went straight into a club night.

The club was in a former brewery. Walking toward it, one only saw a squat one-story building. Upon entering, however, one saw the entire first floor--the space of an entire warehouse--open, and filled only with the light of a single, swaying disco ball:



















This was not the actual club, however, but only the entryway. In fact, people were riding their bicycles through it! After going through the door, one descended *five* floors to the club space proper. The ceiling was very high, and featured large holes in the wall, through which the beer pipes had once gone! Here you can see light shining through one of them:


















Some of the holes were at ground level, and one had to walk through them to get from the main club space to a secondary area. I went over there, where I saw a sign reading "Creperie." "How kitsch!", I thought. Except then I realized they were actually serving crepes, made to order. I had one with lemon and sugar.

There was also a sofa suspended on the wall of the main dance area, at least 12 feet up. I assumed this was some kind of postmodern decoration (well, it was, after all). But later, some people piggy-backed their way up and were actually sitting there!

There are much better pictures of the place than I could have taken here:
http://www.taktimpuls.de/derort.html

After leaving this place after 4 I was, improbably, quite awake, so I went to Berghain. This was kind of a mistake--it took me almost an hour to get in due to the line. There was some sort of circuit party going on that weekend and it was more packed than I've seen it anytime during this visit. Going beyond the usual shirtlessness, many people were walking about in jockstraps, etc., and one guy was completely naked except for his boots...

No comments: