Friday, October 26, 2007

A moment in the spotlight

Last night I gave a lecture at the Academy. All of the Fellows are required to do this once during our stay, and it is the main event of our time here. It was certainly quite an event for me. Many people are invited: in my case, about 70 were in attendance overall. They included journalists, musicologists and other academics from German universities, the other Fellows, and several musicians whom I have interviewed during the course of my research.

The evening began at 6 p.m., with drinks followed by a 3-course dinner. Then, I was introduced by the moderator, a musicologist from the University of Leipzig. My talk lasted about 50 minutes, and then there was a Q&A that wented until well after 10 p.m.! The questions were really excellent, very thought-provoking. A real highlight was when Robert Henke (Monolake, a musician and creator of the software Live), chimed in in response to one of the questions and spoke very eloquently from his own knowledge about EDM performance.

Afterward, another Fellow hosted an after-party for me here. Today, of course, I am absolutely exhausted--which is why I am home updating my blog tonight instead of going out!!

In other news, I was featured this week in Tip, a bi-weekly news magazine comparable to Philadelphia Weekly or something like that. They are supposed to interview me for a longer piece on Thursday.

2 comments:

Christopher said...

Congrats again on your recent accomplishments! How did the Tip interview go?

Mark in Berlin said...

Pretty good, although they asked me a few not-so-clever questions like "Would you say you are an explorer going into the world of clubs?"

Then they wanted to take a photo so I had to meet this guy Friday night at midnight at Tresor!