Sunday, September 16, 2007

Maria am Ostbahnhof



My apologies for getting behind in the blogging. Fill in the blanks as you wish :-) but I had a nasty cold last week, which didn't help. In this post I will write about my outing last weekend on September 7.

I went to Maria am Ostbahnhof, a place I've been to many times, for their 9th anniversary party. Barbara Preisinger, from Scape Records, kindly put me on the guest list. She DJed in the "Josef" room, while Phon.o & Chris DeLuca (formerly of Funkstörung) did a live set in the Maria room.

I am embarrassed to admit that I only recently realized that "Funkstörung" means "radio interference" in German, rather than "Destruction of funk" as I had previously assumed. Perhaps I could be forgiven since the word for destruction is Zerstörung. I am not sure if German has a word for funk, let alone its destruction.

Anyway, Phon.o & Chris played an excellent set. It was, in fact, quite funky, in a sort of electro style with lots of hip-hop samples. Afterward, Thomas Fehlmann played, an artier, somewhat mellower set.

One of the other Fellows accompanied me to the club. This was very pleasant. It turns out she is from Birmingham also. More notably, this is the first time I have ever gone to a club with someone who has won the Pulitzer Prize!

Here are some more pics and a little video:
























No comments: