Sunday, September 2, 2007

I'm getting reacquainted...

With the nightlife, that is. Last went to two clubs, and got to bed at 8 a.m.

First, I checked out the new Tresor. For those who aren't techno-heads, Tresor was one of the most famous Berlin clubs, but the location was sold and it had to shut down. Now it has reopened in a new location.

The venue is really cool. It's in a ginormous former factory. When you see it it's hard to believe the whole thing houses a club.

I've always thought (Fred M agrees) that one should not be able to apprehend the layout of a club at once. A good club requires exploration, and is often disorienting at first. Well, Tresor definitely has that going on. One of the more unique things they've done is to put the different spaces (there are 2 main ones) behind big industrial doors that are completely closed. So you have to walk up to this door that looks like you shouldn't open it and go in. The downstairs was also very cool this way: after opening the door, there is a very long hallway, lit only with little red lights, that one walks through to get to the bunker-like dance space.

Unfortunately the crowd was not as cool as the club, at least on this night. There was a rather large number of Eurojocks and their girlfriends. And of course I arrived too early ... at 1. (Why is it always so hard for me to figure this out at first??) I had come particularly to hear Octave One, who started at 3. Fortunately, they rocked it. Here's a pic.

















At 4, I left and went to Berghain. This is rather early to get there (the German daughter of one of the employees here told me she usually goes there about 9), but it was beginning to fill up. I had thought it might be particularly interesting on this evening because this weekend was Folsom Street Europe, a big leather/fetish festival. So maybe there would be even more bears than usual, in even more outlandish costumes. In general tho it seemed like the usual set--maybe I just didn't stay long enough ;) But it was fun and crazy as always. I stayed until 6:30, long enough to see the special blinds lowered against the sun...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Mark! Thought I would send a little missive to your blog to wish you a happy and productive time in Berlin! It's so funny reading your account of research in the clubs - so very different to the library-bound life of a medievalist! Would that manuscripts were such a riot... Anyway, glad you are settling in and look forward to further updates! Emma

Unknown said...

I wish i was there, have fun and be safe.