Monday, September 10, 2007

Life on the Wannsee

Well, I'm starting my 2nd full week here at the Academy, and I'm enjoying it very much. We were very busy last week. On Wednesday night we were "presented" to the public: basically, this was an event at the Academy which was attended by various media types, journalists, arts people, and members of the board. We all gave short speeches about our work and then schmoozed at the reception. It was fairly stressful!

The previous evening, Michael Tilson Thomas gave a lecture recital. And during the week there were various orientation activities. It's a bit like academic summer camp. The other Fellows are a very diverse and interesting group: art historians, a classicist, historians, a journalist, a novelist, a philosopher... Everyone has been very open-minded about my project and lots of people want to go to clubs with me. I did this on Friday, in fact, with the journalist, a Pulitzer Prize-winner, who is also from Birmingham! It was fun (more on this in a later post).

We also have a chef, who fixes incredible dinners 3 or 4 times per week!!

Thanks for the comments and emails--keep 'em coming! Apologies for getting behind on my posting--I will be catching up a bit shortly I hope.

xo,
Mark

No comments: